Friday, October 28, 2005

Happy Snaps

Due to popular demand - well OK, one request from Maria! - here are some shots from our trip.

As I've been going through the photos we took, I've had the feeling they aren't a full representation of our holiday, and I think I've worked out why. The best times were generally had with friends or family over a lovely meal and we didn't get the camera out because we were too busy having fun, and the things we saw that had the most affect on me were in art galleries. I have a philosophical issue with taking photos in art galleries - I know now with digital cameras that you can just turn off the flash and snap away (as most other people in the galleries were doing), but I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel like it's sacrilege or disrespectful. I like to be able to sit in front of a spectacular piece of art and just quietly soak it up (note to art galleries everywhere - you need more seats!!). I wish I didn't feel this way, because now I would have a fantastic collection of photos of works by people like Monet, Picasso, Degas, van Gogh, Da Vinci, etc, etc, etc. Poor N - he desperately wanted to take photos and I wouldn't let him!! So instead what we did was bought software at each of the art galleries - it's lighter than carrying books and more interactive. So now we have CDs with full reproductions of a dozen of Picasso's sketch books with all the history associated with each one, virtual tours of the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay, etc. Tell me, do I need to let go of this irrational behaviour and get with the times, or do you feel the same?

Anyway, enough talk - here are some of our photos for your viewing pleasure!


France_Sept05_059V2
Originally uploaded by Mich M.
Vineyards of the Cote D'Or looking towards the village of Pommard. I took this photo one day while out walking.



France_Sept05_312V2
Originally uploaded by Mich M.
Saturday morning markets in Beaune. These markets were wonderful - all sorts of cheeses, salamis, flowers, fruit and veg, antiques, crafts - my idea of heaven!




France_Sept05_398V2
Originally uploaded by Mich M.
The gardens at the Palace of Versailles. It was a cool, overcast day but the gardens were still beautiful.



France_Sept05_535V2
Originally uploaded by Mich M.
The Eiffel Tower from the top of the Pompidou art gallery. Tres bon!



HongKong_Oct05_011V10
Originally uploaded by Mich M.
A crowded street in Hong Kong. Each day we were there they blocked off the streets in this area to traffic and opened them up to pedestrians - lots of them!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such great pictures, Michelle. Thanks! I especially love the first two, and your description of the market. I just love markets -- they are the most fun places!

I've never taken a photo in a museum, now that I think about it. Like you, I'd ratger enjoy the moment than think about pulling out the camera. I agree about the need for more seats, though.