Saturday, January 05, 2008

Superhero Mondo Beyondo

The gorgeous Andrea of Superhero Designs starts each year with her "Mondo Beyondo" list (see here for details). This year she has started by firstly cleaning the slate and saying a proper goodbye to 2007 - from her site:

"The surest way to start fresh and move forward is to be at peace with what came before. You might have had an incredible year, a dull year, or a truly difficult year. Whatever happened, your aim is to celebrate what there is to celebrate about it and grieve what there is to grieve..."

To do this she has invited her readers to join in by answering 3 questions. Below are the questions and my responses:

1. What do you want to acknowledge yourself for in regard to 2007? (What did you create? What challenges did you face with courage and strength? What promises did you keep to yourself? What brave choices did you make? What are you proud of?)

I helped my gorgeous little boy continue to develop into a healthy, funny, clever, cheeky toddler. I started creating regularly. I got over the shock of the big move to a new country and having a baby and started getting out and making friends (this has saved me, I'm sure. The loneliness I felt in 2006 was crushing). I have made our home a haven. I found the strength to keep smiling and to find fun anywhere I can.

2. What is there to grieve about 2007? (What was disappointing? What was scary? What was hard? What can you forgive yourself for?)

My Mum's ongoing battle with breast cancer (god, just writing that made my heart stop). I live in denial of the possible negative outcome, and constantly remind myself to be positive because she is doing really well at the moment.

I grieve because I live so far from my family which means my parents aren't a part of my son's everyday life. This makes me so sad.

3. What else do you need to say about the year to declare it complete?

Thanks 2007 for the lessons you taught me about being a mother and wife. Not always easy lessons, but I'm starting to see the benefits and understand the changes I need to make. Thank you for being much easier than 2006 (otherwise I'm sure I'd be in a straight-jacket by now!). Thank you for letting me finally start to unravel the creativity I always knew was locked up inside me. Even for all that, I'm still glad to see the end of you! I heard the word "cancer" too many times, I still had times of terrible loneliness and sometimes I struggled with the person I am compared to who I would like to be.
Then, we declare the year complete:

I DECLARE 2007 COMPLETE! May only the good things about you remain in my memory, may the lessons I learnt make me stronger and may 2008 be better, bigger, easier.

If this feels like something you would like to do too, go read this post on Andrea's site and take part. What have you got to lose?

No comments: