Monday, April 11, 2005

Books

I just love books - it's almost a religious thing with me. I always treat them with care and respect, because I feel they can be the most beautiful things full of untapped information and adventure.

I believe they are a great place to start for inspiration, so I thought I'd share a few with you.

Barbara Sher writes straightforward, commonsense books about achieving your best. I have read "Live The Life You Love", and I have just started "Wishcraft", which you can download for free here. The books first help you to determine what it is you really want to do, deep down - not what you think you should do or what you have developed skills at, but what you are inately meant to do. Then you are guided through some steps to move towards your goal. They are achievable because she breaks it up into manageable bite-size tasks.

Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way is a classic when it comes to realising and releasing your creativity. It is a 12 week program with readings and tasks to complete. The core of the program are two habits Ms Cameron advocates - Morning Pages and the Artist Date. Morning pages are "stream-of-consciousness" writing that you start your day with to clear your head and deal with any negative thoughts stopping you from creating. The artist date is just about making time once a week to do something to inspire you - like visit an art gallery, go for a picnic, etc.

A helpful little book that I refer to regularly is the Color Index - when I'm feeling a bit stuck, or can't work out what colours will work well together I flick through this. It is very handy for graphic designers or web developers.

Another book that I am thinking about getting is Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life. It has received very good reviews on Amazon. If you have read it, please leave some comments about what you thought of it - should I buy it or spend my money on something else!

Anyway, just a few that come to mind at the moment - I'll try to regularly include a review of a book I have read or heard about. Please feel free to suggest some via the comments.

No comments: