Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dealing with the Fear

The article Fear Factor by Suzanne Mulvehill has some great tips for dealing with the fear you feel when thinking about or are actually starting your own business. It is targeted at "entrepreneurs" (a term which always makes me think of dotcoms and tough business) but I think it is extremely relevant to creative people. I think starting an artisitic, creative business is even more frightening than starting something like, I don't know, say a take away food shop - people always need to eat, but will they need my beautiful, one-of-a-kind, handmade widgets? Not only do creative business people have to deal with the issues of will anyone buy my widget, but also will anyone else be drawn to my vision, or understand the hours of work I had to put in to create it?

There are 31 tips in the article - all of them clear, brief and I believe very useful.

2 comments:

Suzanne Mulvehill, MBA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne Mulvehill, MBA said...

Thank you Michelle for this posting. Fear was actually my biggest obstacle in starting a business. I've been in business for myself for 7 years now and I must say that my fears are not what they used to be. The process of dealing with the fear was actually a process of developing security inside of me, developing self esteem and so much more - entrepreneurship has been a journey to me - to the core of me - to my heart and soul. By the way, I love Australia.